Thursday, February 9, 2012

Organize the Junk Drawer!



Fair Warning - this is not an exciting post. It's essentially a before / after with a perk.

So, here is the before:


A little scary, no? Well, they don't call it a junk drawer for nothing. Truth be told, its not that bad - there is a layer of organization covered up by a layer of "throw-it-in-and-close-the-drawer", so really I just had to sort through what was on top.

Here is the after:


Like my use of the silverware tray? Our house has an amazing built-in silverware tray, so when we moved in, the one we had became a junk-drawer organizer. Its actually very useful, although I wish the compartments were full compartments, without openings between them. But it works for now. Behind the silverware tray is a stack of manuals for appliances, and a phonebook on top.

So what's the bonus? When going through the appliance manuals, I found this:


Closer inspection for why I kept this:


I know. Who keeps receipts for light bulb warranties? But, it just so happens that I also have this:


Now, I'm pretty sure I may have an issue with the wiring in this can. We have replaced this bulb 2 times since we moved in, and not for any other areas at all. BUT - who am I to argue with a 5 year warranty, original receipt, and the packaging? I knew I was a packrat for a reason.

So, I mailed it off, and we'll see if I get a response! Overall time to organize the junk drawer? 5 minutes. Tops. Cost of a replacement bulb? $5.98 + tax. Cost of a stamp: $0.45. Dollars saved by checking something off of my list: $5.53. Extrapolated hourly salary: $110.60/hour baby!!!! Livin' large over here!!!! If only I could make that much money for longer than a 5 minute period! HA.



edit: linking to






2 comments:

  1. Great find in the clutter! That's nice!

    Oh those fabulous junk drawers...we love them & hate them at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I'm not taking any bets on how long before it gets back to looking like the before picture. Oh well - I'm trying! HA.

      Delete